A community of some 700 inhabitants set in the beautiful wooded countryside of the Chiltern Hills AONB and surrounded by large areas of common land.
The church, St. Bartholomew’s, was rebuilt in 1846 and parts of the tower date back to Norman times. Many of the dwellings are listed buildings and in a conservation area. Nettlebed was the most important brick and tile making centre in the Chilterns from the mid-14th century onwards until 1939. In 1365, 35,000 tiles were made for Wallingford castle. One redundant lime burning kiln remains and is a focal point of Nettlebed. Two pudding stones near the bus shelter are thought to be millions of years old and were until recently outside the former Bull Hotel in the High Street and were used for mounting horses.
There were several pubs in Nettlebed at one time but today there is only the White Hart, an old coaching inn now a hotel restaurant. Nettlebed Village Club (formerly the Working men’s Club) is a popular watering hole for the local community. There is a thriving post office/ shop, Nettlebed “Life” interior furnishings and The Field Kitchen café and delicatessen. Brights of Nettlebed have their headquarters here. The Sue Ryder Foundation have a palliative care home at Joyce Grove, the former home of the Fleming family. A service station with Spar shop lies at the end of the village on the A4130 and a vehicle repair workshop is nearby.
Opened in 2015, the Nettlebed Creamery manufactures high quality cheese from local organic milk.
Their cheese, “St. Bartholomew” named after our church, is sold locally.
The wonderful beech woods and hills around make the area popular start for walking and rambling.
Red Kites re-introduced to England in recent years can be seen regularly over Nettlebed.
The countryside surrounding Nettlebed can offer some of the darkest skies in this part of England. Binoculars and telescopes will amply reward the visiting astronomer.
For more information on Nettlebed’s history click here